This recipe is excerpted and adapted with permission from the book, Mix-n-Match Recipes: Creative Ideas for Today’s Busy Kitchens by Deborah Taylor-Hough.
Ever spend so much time involved with a project that you forget to think about what you’re going to have for dinner? Yeah, me, too.
But I have a back-up plan for those nights when I forget to think about dinner. Basically I can clear out my cupboards and fridge and make homemade soup. Yep. Mix-and-Match Soup, you’re my hero!
This is a seriously simple way to make a meal out of whatever’s hiding in the back recesses of your cupboards or freezer. It’s the answer to the age old question, “What do we eat when there’s nothing to eat?”
It’s sort of like the classic children’s story, Stone Soup — only without the stone! 🙂 I’d probably break a tooth.
Mix-and-Match Soup (8 generous servings)
Broth (choose one)
- Tomato: One 12-ounce can of tomato paste plus two 16-ounce cans of tomatoes with juice (chopped) plus water to equal 10 cups total
- Chicken/Turkey: 10 cups broth or 4 bouillon cubes dissolved in 10 cups of water
- Beef: 10 cups broth or 4 bouillon cubes dissolved in 10 cups of water
Protein (choose one — 1 pound or 2 cups, cooked)
- Ground beef, browned
- Leftover meatballs or meatloaf, chopped
- Cooked chicken or turkey (cut up)
- Ham (cut up)
- Frankfurters, sliced (or any sausage or Kielbasa)
- Pepperoni, sliced
- Beans, cooked or canned (pintos, kidney, Great Northern, etc.)
Grain (choose 1 or 2 for a total of 2 cups)
- Rice, cooked (any variety)
- Barley, cooked
- Pasta, raw
- Dumplings (add near end of cooking time)
Vegetables (raw, cooked or canned, choose 2 or more for a total of 1 to 2 cups)
- Green beans
- Peas or pea pods
- Bell pepper
- Zucchini (add raw)
Seasonings (choose 2 to 4 spices, 1 to 2 teaspoons each)
- Cayenne (dash)
- Onion powder
To Prepare Soup:
- Bring the broth to a boil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven. Add all of the ingredients and salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat and simmer one hour.
Slow Cooker Prep:
- Pour the boiling stock and other ingredients into a slow cooker and simmer for 8 to 12 hours or overnight on LOW setting.
NOTE: Come by and “Like” A Frugal Simple Life on Facebook!
Browse My Books:
Easy link for Amazon Shoppers