This book of mine was written more than 10 years ago but is just as timely now with the current economic situation.
Prior to writing A Simple Choice, I spent nearly a year interviewing real people about what living simply meant to them and how they were practically applying simple living principles to their lives. So not only was this book written from my own experiences, it was also borne from the experiences and insights of 100+ others.
I’ve had numerous people tell me that this is a book they’ve kept for on-going reference over the years. I’ve also been told it makes a great bridal shower gift.
I wish I’d had this information when I was starting out my life as a young married woman 30+ years ago! 🙂
Here’s what the publisher wrote about the book:
“The number one complaint of people today is the lack of meaning in their hectic lives. In her second book, A Simple Choice: a practical guide for saving your time, money and sanity, author Deborah Taylor-Hough addresses societal emptiness and the personal search for contentment.
“With an aim toward returning to emotional replenishment using clear, concise and uplifting examples, A Simple Choice not only examines the futility of keeping up with the Jones’ but depicts the simply joy and fulfillment of keeping up with ourselves.
“Through practical help in the areas of home-keeping, family unity, saving money, spending plans, cooking and more, Deborah Taylor-Hough guides us down a simple life path.
“In an era of self-reflection and examing personal priorities, A Simple Choiceholds the mirror of life’s simple joys that are available to everyone.”
Table of Contents
Part One: Getting Started
- Chapter 1: Personal thoughts on Simplicity
- Chapter 2: Defining simplicity
- Chapter 3: Are you spiritually overextended?
- Chapter 4: Are you financially overextended?
- Chapter 5: What’s your mission?
Part Two: The Path to Financial Health
- Chapter 6: Solving payment problems
- Chapter 7: Spending plans
- Chapter 8: Contentment
- Chapter 9: One income living in a two income world
Part Three: The Simplified Kitchen
- Chapter 10: An introduction to Frozen Assets
- Chapter 11: Saving on neal expenses
- Chapter 12: Grocery savings
- Chapter 13: Homemade alternatives
Part Four: Simplified Housekeeping
- Chapter 14: Simplified housekeeping
- Chapter 15: Pilers and filers
- Chapter 16: Kids and cleanup
- Chapter 17: Garage sales
- Chapter 18: Homemade alternatives
Part Five: Simple Family Fun
- Chapter 19: Simplify the holidays
- Chapter 20: Family fun and games
- Chapter 21: Nature connections
- Chapter 22: Homemade alternatives
Appendix A: Recommended resources
Appendix B: Why simplicity?