SUBMITTED BY: Sheila
Next time you have too many over-ripe bananas, try this!
I get tired of banana bread when I have a whole lot of bananas to use up. I got this recipe years ago from the Share program, they have a nice newsletter they give you with your food and it usually contains recipes of the type of food you are getting. We love this recipe …
BLACK BOTTOM BANANA BARS
(actually, I think they are more like a cake)
- 1 1/2 c. mashed ripe banana (2-3 whole bananas) mashed w/ a fork
- 1 c. sugar (I used 3/4 cup tonight and they look fine)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 c. flour
- 1/2 c butter or marjarine
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 TB Cocoa — I think carob would work ok here although I haven’t tried using carob
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Add egg and vanilla. Beat until thoroughly combined.
- Blend in the bananas.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and the salt.
- Add to the creamed mixture and mix well.
- Divide batter in half.
- Add cocoa to 1/2 of the batter and spread in a greased 13x9x2 baking pan.
- Spoon remaining batter on top and swirl with a knife.
- Bake at 350F for 25 minutes or until the bars test done.
They claimed this makes 2 dozen bars — I don’t get that. I get about 15. I plan to frost these and they will be my birthday cake. Sad when you have to make your own but it’s not worth the mess when my hubby cooks! I frost these with either white frosting or cocoa frosting. They freeze very well (unfrosted) and I have made a double batch w/no problems.
NOTE: Be sure to “Like” A Frugal Simple Life on Facebook!