SUBMITTED BY: Debi
I’m always on the look out for recipes that are quick, easy, family-friendly, inexpensive and flexible. This quick bread meets all of my criteria for a budget-worthy recipe. Plus it’s tasty and super-simple, too!
Quick Bread Tips: When making any quick bread (banana bread, zuchini bread, cornbread, etc.) be careful not to overmix. Stir mixture until just combined or it may become heavy and too dense. Also, be sure to bake in the center of the oven where the temperature is the most consistent.
MIX-N-MATCH QUICK BREAD (from Frozen Assets)
(Makes two loaves)
You can also make muffins with this recipe.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups Mix-n-Match (see below)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped nuts or seeds (your choice)
Mix-n-Match (one or more of the following to equal 2 cups)
- Apples, grated or chopped
- Apricots, chopped
- Bananas, mashed or chopped
- Carrots, cooked and mashed or grated
- Cherries, pitted and chopped
- Coconut, grated
- Cranberries, dry or raw, chopped
- Dates or figs, pitted and finely chopped
- Lemon, 1/2 cup juice
- Marmalade (omit 1 cup sugar)
- Oranges, chopped
- Orange juice, 1/2 cup juice
- Peaches, fresh or canned, chopped
- Pears, fresh or canned, chopped
- Pineapple, crushed and well-drained
- Prunes, chopped
- Pumpkin, canned
- Rhubarb, finely chopped (add 1/2 cup more sugar)
- Strawberries, well-drained
- Sweet Potatoes or Yams, cooked and mashed, or grated
- Zucchini, grated and well-drained
- Sift together dry ingredients.
- In separate bowl, beat eggs; add oil and sugar; cream together.
- Stir in vanilla and your choice of Mix-n-Match.
- Add dry ingredients; mix well. Stir in nuts.
- Spoon into 2 well-greased loaf pans.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour.
- Spoon batter into muffin tins.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes.
Tasty MIX-N-MATCH combinations:
- Pumpkin-Raisin-Sunflower seeds
ABOUT THE AUTHOR: Deborah Taylor-Hough is the author of a number of popular books including the bestselling Frozen Assets cookbook series, Frugal Living for Dummies®, and A Simple Choice: A practical guide for saving your time, money and sanity. She also edits the Simple Times email newsletter. To visit Debi online, go to: www.SimpleMom.com